May 12, 2012

A letter to my sailor,

Dear Johnathon,

We are down to days! Yes, DAYS, until you are back home safe and sound with us. There were many times when I wasn't sure I had the strength to get through it. I remember about a year and a half ago when I thought of how much time needed to pass before we could be a family again and it was just about too much to bare. You had already missed out on so much and things weren't going to change for awhile. It made me sad.

It was then that I wrote 5 little words on a note card and stuck it to my kitchen wall with a thumb tack, "One Day At A Time".

So many nights I would go into the kitchen after putting the girls to bed and just cry as I looked at that note card. How could I get through another day when I found it so hard to get through the next hour. The days were long, exhausting and hard.

My first goal was Christmas. If I could just get to Christmas, that would be great. From there I set my eyes on Valentine's Day...that took forever! Soon we were moving on to Easter and I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

It was then that I added to my little note card. "You can do this!!"

Now that little note card seemed to put a smile on my face. I was doing it! I was actually getting through the days.

Have you missed out on a lot? Of course! Are we going to make sure to not take life for granted and make up for every special day lost? You bet!

Here is a music video by Phil Vassar called 'Don't miss your life'. I know it's hard and you don't enjoy missing out on everything so I thought you could relate.


Thank you for everything that you do and sacrifice on a daily basis. I know it isn't easy for you.

We all love you and can't wait to see you SOON!! xoxo

p.s. Please forgive your exhausted wife when you start to unpack our boxes next month and find that some of them are a mumble jumble of random crap! :) Have pitty on her and try to understand!! haha

-Sarah

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...