January 15, 2012

Unload

I got the girls a new kindergarten computer program tonight and I am in love with it. We do our school work at the table, we read books, we flip through flash cards...WE did a lot of things. I was really looking for something that the girls could each do 100% by themselves while I worked with her sister. Right now, that meant coloring right next to us and giving her opinion every .5 seconds. This program allowed me to put head phones on one child and lay them on the floor with the computer for 45 minutes of uninterrupted individual teaching time with the other child. PERFECTION!

We are a little off the curriculum course right now, but that's okay too. We are spending a whole week on reviewing all the letters of the alphabet and their sounds, how to say, spell and write their WHOLE names properly, how to address an envelope, and the days of the week. It doesn't seem like much, but when you've got two little girls who learn in completely different ways, it takes time.

It's taken awhile to bust down all of my public school takes on things. I'm sure it will continue to be a work in progress. For instance, the girls are currently working through a kindergarten curriculum (that I love) but we needed to take a short break before/during the holiday season when they got glasses and we were very busy. This put us a little behind and that bugged me for a little while. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that we may not always be on the same schedule as public schools and THAT IS OKAY! We may also start a school year at a random time and THAT IS OKAY also. The girls are only 4 and if we need a few extra months to finish kindergarten then THAT IS OKAY. When we are done and I think that they are ready, we will continue on to first grade. *gulp* Yes, first grade. I shutter at the thought of having TWO first graders. Good thing that won't be happening anytime soon. :)

I think the thing that I am most excited about when we move is being able to have a whole room solely for homeschooling the girls. Like it or not, I will soon have three little ones in school so we definitely need the space. I am also looking forward to being a stay-at-home mom again and being able to focus on my girls what exciting new things we will be doing each day. Living in Illinois around family and working part-time makes it a little difficult to put forth the time and effort to plan crafts and field trips like I used to.

I'm enjoying blogging like I used to. It is just as much a part of who I am as being a wife and mother. It's my main way to focus and clear my mind. I enjoy updating everyone (now Johnathon as well) on the girls and what we have been up to. I don't always have the time to keep in touch with everyone as much as I would like.

My mom is doing well. She has had a few doctors appointments over the last few week and a few tests as well. I hope we get some real answers soon as to what is going on with her. I would love it if she were able to have surgery and be healthy before I have to move away. I hate thinking about her being in Illinois and going through all of this without me. It's going to be hard.

I can't say much about Johnathon, but he is also doing well. Thanks again for your continued prayer on his safe homecoming.

How am I doing? It's so nice of you ask! :) It feels great to say that for the first time in MONTHS, I am going as well as can be expected. I say that because of course I have my moments. I am raising three little girls by myself and that alone could drive a person insane. What I mean is that, other than the obvious, I am doing great. I get frustrated about orders and cry, I get angry with the Navy for taking my husband away, I get a short fuse and raise my voice with the girls...I have moments. My mental health though, my sanity, my spirit...it's doing great. The new year kind of brought with it a sense of freshness and hope. I am able to look past the negatives in my life and look forward to what is to come.

Thanks for letting me unload my mind.

God Bless. xoxo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...