July 23, 2011

Homeschool

As we begin this fabulous homeschool journey, I wanted to take a moment to share my feelings on why we chose to be a homeschooling family, what curriculum we chose to use and countless other topics on the subject.

If you are anything like I was a few years ago, then you are seriously uneducated on the whole idea of homeschooling. For me, it was intimidating to even think of such an idea. It wasn't until I noticed a few friends of mine starting to speak out about their decision to homeschool that I realized...this may be the best idea yet!!

It's very important to me that I start off by saying that we are in no way 'anti-public school'. Johnathon and I both attended public school and turned out just fine. Our decision mainly stems from the fact that we are (and will continue to be) a military family. That unfortunately means lots of moving and new schools. I knew that is not what I wanted for my children. It was also about this time when my niece, Emma, was caught kissing a boy in kindergarten. I suddenly had flashbacks to the conversations and stories that were told at school and on the bus. That was my moment! The moment that I knew we would homeschool the girls until we felt they had strong enough morals to not be swayed in a negative direction.

At the time I was a stay-at-home mom anyway, so the decision was an easy one to make. The idea that Johnathon and I would solely be accountable for molding our little ladies into young intelligent women was such a thrill. I dove into researching different methods and to be quite honest, it was too much information for me to take in so quickly. I decided that I wanted a very structured curriculum and ordered catalogs from websites that offered such. I know that may not be what's best for most families and they prefer a more laid back attitude, but that is just how I am. I needed schedule, detail and projects planned to the exact day that they would be done!! I know that life happens and not everything goes as planned so please save the lecture on how I need to relax. :) Thanks.

I finally settled on Sonlight. It's a christian based curriculum that includes Bible, History, Science, Reading, Writing, Math and so much more. All of the books have been carefully chosen to teach good morals and life lessons. It's fabulous.

I did buy our curriculum brand new and I know that is not an option for some families...we did so at tax time, 6 months early!!

Our already tiny dinning room has been transformed into our 'learning room' and each of the girls has their own desk. My plan occupy Madelynn with a fun game at the table while I go through the days lessons with the twins. It's going to be a challenge, but one that I am so excited for.

I have also added a new tab at the top of the page for those of you interested in knowing what we are up to week-by-week. We don't start for a few weeks, but week one is already posted!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...